Macarons. One of life’s little luxuries. I’m always on the hunt for the best macarons. So I’m thrilled to share with you a new address where you can get the real deal. Because honestly, not all macarons are perfect like the ones in Paris. What is the real deal? Macarons should be crisp on the outside and crackle when you put your teeth in it. The inside should not be too chewy. Also they are not supposed to be too sweet. In summary, perfection is key, and the newly opened tearoom and pastry boutique Macaron by RJA nailed it.
Macaron by RJA is a venture by pastry chef Ruben Jan Adriaan who has extensive experience. He learnt from the best and perfected his skills a.o. at Pierre Hermé, Pierre Marcolini, Mandarin Oriental. After founding 3 successfull macaron boutiques in Seoul, he is now ready to take over Amsterdam. The flagship store opened earlier this month in Amsterdam Old South, in the posh Cornelis Schuytstraat. Later this year a second store will open in the Utrechtse Straat.
The pastry boutique’s interior has a bit of a Fauchon flair, with vibrant pink, black and white as the main colour scheme. Besides macarons and French pastries and eclairs, you can indulge in macaron latte, tea, and other beverages. I tried and tested the Chloe cheese cake with strawberry and rhubarb, and a macaron latte. One word: wow! I also put my teeth in various flavours of macarons. Here’s what to expect this spring/summer:
- pistachio cream with a compote of rhubarb and strawberry
- White chocolate ganache with extra virgin oil and a slice of salty olive
- Yoghurt and grapefruit
- Rose petals cream with lychee and raspberry compote
- sweet mango with tart lime, ginger and coriander seeds and a cream of roasted coconut and rum
- Sakura, cherry blossom and strawberry compote
- and 9 more spring/summer flavours that are refreshing and floral for the sunny days.
I’m really impressed, and I’m bound to go to Macaron by RJA quite often. – Cornelis Schuytstraat 50