It’s Elderflower season again! (vlierbloesem in Dutch) Time to sneak into the park at dusk or dawn when no one is watching and pick a few branches with the fragrant white flowers. Yes, here in the Netherlands it’s a crime to pick flowers in public places, so ssssshhh don’t tell any one I did or I will get a fine. It’s very easy to make and you will enjoy the fresh and tangy flavours on a hot summer’s day. You can mix it with Sprite, tonic, alcohol, or pour it over ice-cream. Scroll down for the recipe.
- 20 elderflowers , gently shake off any insects & trim any excess branches/leaves
- 4 lemons, sliced
- 1.5 kg sugar (I used brown cane sugar)
- 1.8 liters water
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve.
- Once cooled, pour the the sugar-water and all ingredients into a big jar & cover, leave for 36-48 hours, stirring occasionally. (Some recipes say up to 3 days).
- Then remove lemons & elderflowers and strain the water a few times (if you have a cheese cloth it will help).
- Pour the syrup into a pot and cook for about 3-5 minutes minutes.
- Then pour the liquid into clean sterilized glass bottles. Close them. Let them cool before placing in the refrigerator.
Recipe was taken from here.