Last week I told you about an interior styling course I’m taking online (for only $10). Although I’m a bit behind on my homework, it is so much fun! And that’s the nice thing about this course, you can do it in your own pace. The teacher gives you online feedback as do other students from around the world. I have already connected with people from the USA, Germany and South Africa.
During the course we get to re-style five areas in our home with our own stuff and by applying the 8 basic principles of interior design we were taught in the introductory lesson. It’s like a small Oprah show with Nate Berkus, only this time you have to do all the work yourself. So far the course has taught me how to use the 8 principles, but also how to create balance and play with colour combos and different textures and patterns. Here are 5 take-aways for you to implement today:
- Add texture by using different layers, different fabrics, or by adding a rug or throw
- Add bling. This can be glass, copper of any other shiny object
- Always add botanicals e.g flowers or plants to bring life to the space
- It’s OK to mix different patterns, as long as the colour scheme is the same
- Diversify in shapes and sizes. When you have a square tray, add something round on top to balance it out.
I’m so happy with the results of restyling my coffee table that I thought I would share it with you. I think it’s fresh, and inviting and perfect for spring and summer. What do you think?