To Americans, Victoria’s Secret is nothing special. The stores are everywhere. But to a Dutch woman, it is pure delight to step into a Victoria’s Secret store. I’ve been a loyal customer since the late 1990s when I was living in the States. Once back in the Netherlands, I continued to order my lingerie and briefs online. And although we have a tiny store at the Amsterdam airport (with only beauty products and a few panties), it doesn’t come close to the real stores boasting with lace and sheer wannahaves. So whenever I go to London I go on a splurge to invest in new panties, bras and lounge wear.
Before I reveal the holiday season’s must-haves, let’s talk about that store in London for a minute. I’m so in love with the boudoir-like interior with checkered floors, black walls, stately stairs and velvet sofas. It’s über glamourous. Not to mention the mannequins showing off the Victoria’s Secret Fashion show outfits. The bling, the wings and the feathers…I totally understand why the topmodels like to be a VS angel.
What to splurge on this season
After roaming the different floors in the London store it soon became clear to me that there are some major trends this year to splurge on.
- Cheekies panties: panties that accentuate or show of your butt cheeks. Think complete bare, sheer, with a bow, or other details
- velvet with lace trim: invest in a velvet body, baby doll or bra
- The resurgence of the corsets and bustiers
- High neck lace bras and bustiers
- checkered lounge wear and pyamas
- velvet and furry slippers
- move over string because the boyshort and highwaist and hiphuggers are back!
Invest in lingerie made of shiny and soft materials in deep rich colours like burgundy, green, blue and petrol. Or opt for more subtlety in blush pink.